Leadership and Management
Effective leadership and management is about teams working together to deliver and improve patient care. This course covers key leadership and management topics. This half-day online course will be invaluable for those wishing to add leadership and management skills to their e-portfolio or for those who have identified the need to develop these competencies in their personal development plans.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Describe what makes an effective leader and explain the key differences between leaders and managers
- Determine their own individual leadership style via a self-assessment questionnaire and identify which qualities they need to be developed
- List and describe three different leadership styles and identify key leadership qualities and recognise how these can be developed
- Identify ways to motivate a team and explain the ‘towards’ and ‘away from’ strategies for motivation and the benefits and limitations of these approaches
- List four steps for effective leadership planning
- Identify and describe how to build an effective team and gain commitment from team members
- Demonstrate the leadership and teamworking skills covered by participation in the ‘Village of the lost children ‘exercise
- Describe the Management by Objective cycle and advantages and limitations of this approach
- Explain when and how to apply the Positional Bargaining and Principled Negotiation models of negotiation
- List five principles for successful negotiation
9:15 Online registration and welcome
9:30: Developing leadership potential: Key differences between Leaders and managers. Self-assessment questionnaire will determine individual leadership styles, show which qualities need to be developed and how to nurture them: vision, accountability, communication, integrity, organisation, persistence. How to motivate your team: motivation theory: ‘towards’ and ‘away from’ strategies.
Introduction to Leadership Theory; Leadership styles theory: authoritarian, delegative and democratic styles and which styles prevail during hard and easy times.
Effective leadership planning – The Four P’s;
- Purpose – What are you trying to achieve as a leader?
- Picture – What is your vision for the future?
- Plan – a sequentially-organised list of actions.
- Part to play – Give everyone a clear role in the team.
How to build effective teams and assess capability and commitment and give the right people the right job. Learn the most effective tool for assessing your team, The Welch Quadrant, and about the 4 types of employees.
- Capable and committed.
- Capable and uncommitted.
- Incapable and committed.
- Incapable and uncommitted.
10:45: Refreshment break.
11:00 Management by Objectives: Classic management theory of realising the strategic vision through management by objectives (MBO-Drucker, 1969). The MBO cycle: Objectives reviewed, Individual/team objectives set, Progress monitored, Performance evaluated, Achievement rewarded, new MBO process begins. Objective-setting exercises and review.
Question & answer session, summary and close at 12:20
The fee for this course is £99:00 Please note this deposit is non-refundable should you be unable to take up your place.
Please contact us if you have any questions about this course by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 07757 405063.